Wednesday, October 05, 2011

third time's a charm

I never thought my calves were particularly big until one day last fall at Bergdorf Goodman when I tried to squeeze into a pair of Louboutin Egoustina boots. They didn't even go past my ankle! I suppose my calves are healthy runner's calves, nothing like the super-slim ones all French Vogue editors seem to have. I think it also has to do with the fact that I'm short, so the thickest part of my calf is a few inches lower on my leg than the average.

I have tried several versions of over-the-knee boots. These Biba ones were the most recent to date. I still love how they look but they are so tight around my calves that when I take them off at the end of the day there are huge dents in my skin from where the zippers dig in.

When the price dropped on these Calvin Klein suede boots from theoutnet.com I decided to give them a try. They are still snug around my calf but not uncomfortable, just enough to keep the boots from sliding down. I can actually stuff a thin pair of jeans or pants in them (unlike the Bibas) and the heel height is perfect. I am pretty confident that these will be the last pair of black over-the-knee boots I will ever buy. Between these and the others I should have all my bases covered.

Rag & Bone shirt (yoox.com) // Vanessa Bruno Athé jacket (theoutnet.com) //
Calvin Klein Collection over-the-knee boots (theoutnet.com) // Prada mini bag (eBay) //
rings by Elizabeth & James and Iossellani


prada bagelizabeth & jamesiossellani ring






6 comments:

  1. I love that lace-up detailing on the back, they're the perfect understated OTK boots. Sweet find!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great boots! I'm also short with muscular calves, so I know how it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love the boots!! the heel is just the perfect length!! btw, i too have that calf issue with certain boot, but at least you are a runner. me on the other hand needs to do some running hehe :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely boots!

    http://cestlavieophelia.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. those are beautiful! i've searched long and hard for boots like your biba ones after you posted them last winter. these are lovely too. i may end up with some sam edelmans that have a leather front and elastic back- i have small ankles and big calves, and i feel like this is the only way to avoid sagging on the ankles.

    and i had to laugh about your experience with the CL boots. i once got stuck in a pair at BG, and a nice sales guy had a trick where he hits his palm against the bottom of the boot, and they magically popped off. so embarrassing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love those Calvin Klein ones! The heel on them looks really comfortable, too! I say try Target, Old Navy, or Payless for a cheaper pair of boots and try to DIY them to create the Christian Louboutin look!

    Hope you have a lovely weekend! :)

    -j
    sorelle in style

    ReplyDelete